When you’re building a home in the Miami area, there are a couple of options. One, the homeowner can build their home from scratch, making it fully customized. Two, they can get a new build in a neighborhood that has a builder making standard, cookie-cutter models. Both options have their pros and cons to consider. Whether you are interested in custom homes in Miami or a predesigned cookie-cutter home, there is also a lot of thought and planning that goes into the process. Read on to learn more about building a home in Miami.
With a custom home, it is truly your home your way. Held only to the rules of your local zoning department and HOA, you are free to build the house of your dreams. Hire an architect and contractor to help you make your vision become a reality. Here are some pros to building custom homes in Miami:
- Custom Design: Everything about your house can be customized. Interested in mimicking the design of a certain architect? Done! Want to build a home that uses all sustainable materials? You can do that, too! Interested in having 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, a rec room, etc.? All possibilities! With a custom new build, the sky’s the limit.
- Unique: A huge benefit to a custom home is that it is unique to you! With a custom build, you don’t have to worry about your neighbor 5 doors down having the exact same exterior and floor plan.
- Layout: Custom homes mean custom layouts. Work with your architect and contractor to figure out how you want the flow of space to work in your home. They will help you create a floor plan that works for you and your family.
- Exterior Decisions: Since you aren’t held to preset floor plans and exteriors, the options are endless for how you can design the exterior of your home. From siding to bricks to the roof to a huge outdoor patio, the exterior of your new home and the outdoor space can be truly customized by you.
As with anything in the building world, there are pros and there are cons. Here are some of the cons when it comes to building a custom home.
- More Expensive: When building a custom home, you will need to hire an architect to draw out plans and create the design of the home for you. With a new cookie-cutter type home, the plans are already set and made.
- Takes More Time: Building custom is completely starting from scratch. Thus, it can take more time. Because of this, if you have a deadline, know that the process of building custom-designed homes takes longer.
- Harder to Find a Lot: Often, builders developing subdivisions purchase areas of undeveloped land. As a result, it can be a lot harder to find a single lot for sale that hasn’t already been purchased by a builder.
Ever been to a neighborhood where every 5th or 6th house looks the same? Maybe the exterior is a different color but the design and floor plans are the same. These types of houses are known as cookie-cutter homes. Many suburban homes are a part of neighborhoods where the builder had 5-6 home designs that they repeated throughout the neighborhood. Just like with custom-designed homes, there are pros and cons to having your new build be a cookie-cutter home.
- Saves Time and Money: By getting a predesigned cookie-cutter home, you cut out all architect expenses. These homes have already been designed by an architect, so there is no need for you to hire one. The process of not having an architect will also save you time and money.
- Fewer Decisions: If you are someone who struggles to make decisions, building a cookie-cutter home will be much easier for you. Decisions about the layout and exterior design of the home are already made. However, you will still have to make decisions about interior finishes like flooring, cabinets, and countertops. Regardless, it will be a lot less decision-making than it would be with a custom-designed home.
- Suburban Neighborhood Feel: Some homeowners want to have that standard American suburban neighborhood as a place to raise their family. As a result, a planned community with cookie-cutter homes will have the suburb look and feel.
Here are some cookie-cutter cons:
- Not Many Options: With a cookie-cutter home, you are stuck with whatever the builder decided on. This is because the builder determines things like the layout and exterior design.
- All Houses Look Similar: If you want a unique home, then a cookie-cutter style house is not for you! A neighborhood with these cookie-cutter homes will contain many houses that look the same and also have similar layouts.
Miami residents considering a new home build will need to decide if they want a custom-designed home or a cookie-cutter home. There are pros and cons to each! Whichever one you choose, you will also need a contractor to help you throughout the entire build process. A contractor can help you with many tasks, including building out the rooms in the house, installing the roof, putting in plumbing, and more!
JMK Contractor Builds Custom Homes in Miami
JMK Contractor is a contractor who helps clients with their new cookie-cutter or custom homes in Miami. We will help you weigh the pros and cons when deciding between a fully custom new construction home or a predesigned cookie-cutter model. In addition, we’ll help you look at your budget and what you want out of your home to guide your decision. For more information about JMK Contractor and the services we provide, give us a call today. We look forward to discussing your project with you!